Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fun with Kleenex and Progress

Yesterday, Julia decided to play with a box of kleenex. She pulled out each sheet and scattered them about the floor. Then, she proceeded to shred the kleenex and started putting little pieces in her mouth. My mom and I were watching in amusement and froze when Julia started putting the pieces in her mouth. For those of you who know of Julia's struggles with solid foods, we were shocked she was putting kleenex pieces in her mouth because of the texture and how it would stick in her mouth. She had a blast! She thought it was so cute and funny putting the kleenex in her mouth and she actually ate the pieces without gagging on them. Kids do the strangest things! Weird, I know, but my mom and I were so proud of her for actually putting the kleenex in her mouth and eating it without gagging or throwing up.

My baby girl is really making progress with her oral skills. She is chewing, which she has never done until about a week ago. Before then, she would put things in her mouth, but not really do anything with it which would cause her to gag and/or throw up. She is now eating puffs, bits of graham cracker, Rice Krispies, and just yesterday started eating bits of pear. I can't tell you how excited and incredibly proud I am to see Julia finally getting solid foods in her mouth and eating them. The progress was slow and there have been some bumps in the road, but she has been working so hard! Julia, you are an amazing daughter! Your daddy and I are so proud of you!

3 comments:

Rachel Lyn said...

So glad to hear of the progress - even if it is with paper products. :) Great job on the food, Julia!

Lizze said...

Yay! Julia is making such wonderful progress!

Kim and Scott said...

Way to go, Julia!